Shopping day!

|
No post for yesterday as I was downtown dragging a visiting friend, Diane, through Queen West to all of my stores of choice! RECAP!

First we had a wonderful brunch at Fran's at Yonge and College. I was given so much food I had to give almost all of my untouched home fries to the first homeless guy I could find, not wanting to waste them but not wanting to carry them around all afternoon either. I hope he enjoyed them.

The weather was wonderful as we made our way down Yonge to Queen West and only improved as the day went on. Diane being able to pull on her sunglasses and me being able to throw my coat into my backpack as I had a nice little sweater on.

Our first stop was at Active Surplus. I found lovely little vials with corks. They were not paired together however and the mess of boxes they were scattered throughout were not at all self explanatory. With the incalculable help of Diane, we managed to find matches for most of the little bottles that I had taken a liking to.

And here they are!

I have big plans! Even my partner has big plans for these babies, sharing them with me last night over dinner. His imagination is top notch.

After that we made our way to my most favourite place in the city! There is a wonderful stretch of Queen West between Spadina and Bathurst that is simply crawling with bead and fabric stores! I went into one small shop and was able to locate a wondrous selection of chains that just so happened to be from 30-50% off. I picked up enough to make approximately 20-25 necklaces for around 13$. Not bad! That said I picked nice coloured chains that I do not have matching clasps for. Oh well! An excuse to go again!

I finally found some lace suitable for making bib necklaces. My first find was great. Usable as is. My second was a nice pattern but it needed to be dyed. The shiny white colour was so awful!!! All I could think was 80s bridal horror! But it was an easy fix. I used tea and Kool-aid mix for the dye as it was all I'd had on hand. To do this I simply boiled some water, steeped the tea/stirred in the kool-aid and then dropped in the bits of lace.






They both turned out pretty well! I am especially fond of the tea dyed piece, it smells so lovely.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I am so excited for all of these things!

Plus my things!

How long do you think it takes for shipping from Toronto?! :)

Rosebud Beads said...

I am excited for you to get your things!!! I honestly thought you'd have them by now but I think I was being naive! haha. I guess when my mother sends me things it's about two weeks but her packages are much larger. I thought these would go faster somehow... as if they would get there on their own... : D

Let me know as sooooooon as you get them!!! I am so excited!!!